Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Routine"

Finally, it’s Monday morning. The previous week was too long for a man with stitches in his mouth. The eating of soft foods has to change. I’m sick of the mal-nutrition these wisdom teeth have provided for me. Today marks the end of my battle with the stitches. No more worrying (hopefully) about the wounds being infected or not. At 1:00 p.m., my oral surgeon will be elbow deep in my mouth, extracting the mess of rope he tied down over a week ago.
My mouth’s hygiene however, could not be better. I have quit smoking for over a week now, cold turkey. The habitual rinsing, with my home-made saline solution of table salt and warm tap water, hopefully rid my mouth of germs. I wish that someone, at some point, could have told me how much this procedure really throws off your lifestyle. Just the ability to eat what our body is used to is a huge part of our routine.
Routine is about sleeping, eating, and going about your day in the most natural way possible for a specific person. When sleeping, eating, and stress levels fluctuate (never mind spin out of control), keeping a solid routine is usually disrupted. This is what happens with serious wisdom teeth extraction. Your routine is abruptly called to a halt, and the decisions are up to the medication. This the medication prescribed by the doctor who put you in the situation in the first place. Yes, I have possibly dug far too deep into the subject, but there was nothing else to do besides sit around and think about the pain inside of my swollen cheeks.
Truthfully, the time I spent licking my wound’s was not in vain. There was an ample amount of time for writing and reading, mainly getting caught up on things. Would I gladly lay down for the procedure again? Not unless the life of my family depended on it. Hopefully everything is well and my mind can let go of wisdom teeth for a while.

No comments: